October 15th, 2017 | seowerkz
For any home or business owner, the potentially for a plumbing emergency is a daunting one. They aren’t common, but plumbing emergencies can lead to significant cost and even health concerns, and can be enormously time-consuming.
At Expert Plumbing, our emergency plumbing services are available to help you manage one of these situations to the best of your ability. One of the most important factors in these situations is what you do during the minutes or hours directly following finding a plumbing emergency, while our emergency plumbers are on the way. Here are some common emergencies you might experience, and what you should do right away to minimize the damage.
Some common plumbing emergencies that will require an immediate response:
- Water heater: Several issues may take place with a water heater, from leaks to noises and improper function. If there’s significant leaking, this is a major emergency – the first step here will be to manually shut off the heater and call a professional.
- Toilet overflow: An overflowing toilet will create water damage and contamination risk. The response here is simple – toilets all have a water valve behind the toilet against the wall, and you have to turn this off as soon as possible.
- Drain clog: Drains from sinks, showers and toilets can clog up quickly. A plunger and toilet paper can often handle loose blockages, and also keep a drain snake or a hand auger in the home in case of a denser clog.
Some of the items above had particular responses listed, and here are some additional elements to consider if you find a plumbing emergency:
- Immediately go to the water shut-off valve and close it to stop water flowing into the home. Know where your water shut-off valve is.
- Turn on all faucets and drain any water that’s still inside pipes. This will divert it away from possible leak locations.
- Call one of our emergency plumbers.
- If there’s any standing water present, grab a mop and towels and clean it as best you can while you wait for our professionals. The exception here will be if our experts tell you over the phone to stay away from the water due to a contamination risk.
For more on handling plumbing emergencies, or for any of our other plumbing services, speak to the pros at Expert Plumbing today.